16 April 2011

First public talk on Mastery Quest!

I was privileged to be invited to present on Facilitation Patterns at ACCU2011 in Oxford, England.

At some point, one of the organizers - Ewan Milne - invited me to deliver a "lightning keynote". At this conference, on the last day, they invited four of us to each deliver a 15 minute keynote.

This meant, of course, that I had to pick a topic, plan the talk, and put together some slides. I decided to talk about this thing - this Mastery Quest concept and vision - for the first time to more than a small group of people. There were dozens - 100 - 200 - in the room, and I loved it!

Here are the slides.
The video will be up within the next week.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the talk. Here is the link to the TD gotchi I mentioned at the end: http://www.happyprog.com/tdgotchi/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting talk and something I would love to see embraced in organisations. My initial thoughts were this could be fantastic in small teams but can a standard set of measures / achievements / levels be defined that would be comparable throughout the industry to help in getting the right talent/skill levels? Or will this be similar to velocity measures which cannot/should not be compared across teams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The goal, at least in my mind, is that this would be shared commonly across/throughout the industry. No velocity issues. You and your peers/fellows in the community will be the ones to define this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the talk too, and agreed on most parts, but not on the one where you threw away a CV because it mentions SCM. When you send in a CV, you do not know whether the one at the other end understands certifications the same way you do. Therefore, it's very well possible that the person who sent in the CV added the SCM certification “just in case”. Even I would add all my certifications if I would be looking for a new job, even though I don't believe in them.

    (There are lots of assumptions here, e.g. that it's not easy to find out (or even obvious) whether you as an employer like certifications or not.)

    ReplyDelete